Henry Van Luven, a veteran of the Battle of Lundy's Lane , was the founder of the village of Battersea in 1840, originally called Rockland, then Van Luven's Mills, when he bought of crown land at the time of the development of the Rideau Canal. He gave to each of his six sons and lots in the village of Battersea to his daughters. He was elected in 1850 as the first reeve of Storrington Township. Henry built the stone mill in Battersea which was later owned and operated by the Anglin family.
The large Van Luven family home is on a rise at the entrance to what is now Battersea and in 1912 the home was converted into a fishing lodge, now called the Holiday Manor Northern Lodge.