The Battle of the Tennis Court
was the turning point in the Battle of Kohima
in North East India
from April 4 – June 22, 1944.By April 5 the British had been forced back onto the Kohima ridge.The Kohima ridge consisted of features such as Garrison Hill, Jail Hill, Field Supply Depot (FSD) Hill, and Detail Issue (DIS) Hill; these areas, along with the Deputy Commissioner (DC) Charles Pawsey
's Bungalow, were used as the main lines of defence which was held by 4th Royal West Kents
and supporting troops from the Assam Rifles
and Assam Regiment
. As they were cut off they were supplied by air by the Royal Air Force
The Japanese launched a series of attacks into the north-east region of the defences on April 8, and by April 9 the British and Indians there had been forced back out of the DC's Bungalow
to the other side of the tennis court
. The other positions came under heavy attack and the perimeter shrunk.
On April 13, the troops defending near the DC's bungalow and the tennis court came under increasingly heavy artillery and mortar fire, and had to repel frequent infantry assaults. This area was the scene of some of the hardest, closest and grimmest fighting, with grenades being hurled across the tennis court at point-blank range. But on April 14 the Japanese did not launch an attack and on the 15th British troops on Kohima ridge heard that the British 2nd Division
was attacking along the Dimapur
road and had broken through Japanese road blocks.
On the April 17, the... Read More