The Beach Lighthouse
(also known as the Lower Light
) is a tall sandstone lighthouse
situated in Fleetwood
, England. The lighthouse was designed in 1839 by Decimus Burton
and Capt H.M. Denham
. Burton had been commissioned three years previously by Sir Peter Hesketh Fleetwood
as the architect of the new town of Fleetwood. Unusual for a lighthouse, it is in neoclassical style with a square colonnaded base, square tower, and octagonal lantern and gallery.
The Lower Light stands on Fleetwood sea front and was built with its counterpart—the Upper Light, or Pharos Lighthouse
—to provide a navigational guide to shipping entering the Wyre estuary
. Together the lights provide a leading line
when the Pharos Light is directly above that of the Lower Light. In turn they point to the Wyre Light
on the North Wharf Bank, offshore.
Both lighthouses were first illuminated 1 December 1840. Together they provide a range of about .
The Beach Lighthouse was designated a Grade II listed building
by English Heritage
on 26 April 1950. The lighthouse is managed by the Port of Fleetwood.
- H N Denham, Sailing directions from Port Lynas to Liverpool... Mawdsley, Liverpool, 1840