() is a town in the Limpopo Province
of South Africa. Deriving its name from the geothermic hot springs
around which the town was built, it is widely known by the name Warmbaths
, officially changed to the current name in 2002. Likewise, the Afrikaans name for the town was Warmbad
before the name change. It was also previously called Hartingsburg
until the early twentieth century.
The town is situated in the Waterberg District
of the Limpopo Province. It lies off the N1
road between Pretoria
(Pietersburg). Its hot springs produce 22,000 litres per hour at .
When the Tswana tribes
first moved in to the region in about the 1800s, they discovered hot springs in the area.
Carl Van Heerden established the first farm in what is now Bela-Bela and called it Het Bad
. In 1873, President Burger's Transvaal
government bought the land and established a resort called Hartingsburg
after the prominent Dutch
biologist Pieter Harting
. The British occupied the town during the Anglo Boer War
, and renamed the post office Warm Baths
in 1903, and proclaimed the boundaries of Warmbaths to be the entire farm of Het Bad
In 1920 Warmbaths was proclaimed a township
(in the legal, not racial sense) and the township was... Read More