BelAZ (RU: Белорусский автомобильный завод/Belaruski autamabilny sawod or БелАЗ) is a Belarusian manufacturer of haulage and earthmoving equipment based in Zhodzina. The factory opened its door in 1948 and has produced over 120,000 vehicles for use in the Soviet Union.
BELAZ is a site for one of the largest Commonwealth of Independent States investment project. The factory finalized two of the three scheduled phases of the technical re-equipment and upgrades. The Quality Management System applied in research and development, fabrication, erection and after-sale service of the equipment complies with international ISO 9000 standards.
In 1948, a peat extraction machinery plant was constructed by the railroad station Žodzina.
In 1951 the plant was expanded into the plant of road construction and land improvement machinery and renamed into "Dormash" (Дормаш), an abbreviation for "дорожное машиностроение", "road construction machinery building".
In 1958 it was renamed into BelAZ. Initially it produced MAZ trucks.
In 1961 the first 27-tonne BelAZ pit and quarry dump truck was manufactured.