<!-- Unsourced image removed: -->In 1854, Queen Isabella II of Spain issued a royal charter founding the "Colegio de Belén" in Havana, Cuba. The school began its educational work in the building formerly occupied by the convent and convalescent hospital of Our Lady of Belen, hence the name of the school. Over time, the school expanded through the donation of several nearby buildings in Havana. The resulting complex would ultimately be known as "El Palacio de Educacion" (The Palace of Education). "El Palacio" still stands, now called the Instituto Tecnico Militar (Military Technical Institute).
Belen's History in the United States
In 1961, the new political regime of Cuba confiscated the school's property and expelled the Jesuit faculty. Belen Jesuit was re-established in Miami the same year, and by the next year it had acquired its own building and moved to a new site on the corner of S.W. 8th... Read More