Berlin Potsdamer Platz
is a railway station
. It is completely underground and situated underneath the Potsdamer Platz
in central Berlin. Regional and S-Bahn
services call at the station.
The first station at Potsdamer Platz was the Potsdamer Bahnhof terminus
, which was closed on 27 September 1945 due to war damage. The S-Bahn station, situated in the Nord-Süd-Tunnel
, was situated directly under the Berlin Wall
and became a ghost station
between 1961 and 1989.
The station was extensively remodeled and rebuilt in the 1990s.
The station also has the line of the Berlin U-Bahn
calling at a subterranean platform.It was build by the great architect A.Grenander
in 1902. But after 5 years another platform opened just 180m to the southwest at Leipziger Platz.Until 1923 the station was known also under the name Leipziger Platz. From then the name was Potsdamer Platz.J. Meyer-Kronthaler, Berlins U-Bahnhöfe
, Berlin: be.bra, 1996
For a brief time during 1991, the site was served by Kemperplatz station, slightly to the north-west and on the M-Bahn
. Following reunification, the M-Bahn was removed to allow U-Bahn U2 to be reinstated.
The long-distance station is, strictly speaking, not a station but just a stop, as it lacks the points
required to be classified as a station under German law.