The Beurs van Berlage
is a building on the Damrak
, in the center of Amsterdam
. It was designed as a commodity exchange
by architect Hendrik Petrus Berlage
and constructed between 1896 and 1903. It influenced many modernist
architects, in particular functionalists
and the Amsterdam School
. It is now used as a conference venue.
The building is constructed of red brick
, with an iron
and glass roof
and stone piers
. Its entrance is under a large clock tower
, while inside lie three large multi-story halls formerly used as trading floors
, with offices and communal facilities grouped around them.
The aim of the architect was to reject the styles of the past. To the modern eye, the design may still appear a little fussy, but at the time, most apparent were its sweeping planes and open plan
interiors. It has stylistic similarities with some earlier buildings, for instance St Pancras station
, but there the functional train
shed was disguised by a neo-Gothic facade
On 2 February 2002 the civil ceremony of the wedding of Crown Prince Willem-Alexander
and Máxima Zorreguieta
took place in the Beurs van Berlage.
- , VR panoramas by Tolomeus