The Bicester Military Railway
(BMR) is a railway in Oxfordshire
belonging to the Ministry of Defence
. It links military depots at Piddington
and Graven Hill with the Oxford to Bicester Line
The line has no road bridges. All of its crossings of public roads at Ambrosden, Arncott and between Arncott and Piddington are by level crossings
The Bicester Military Railway was built in 1941 within the Bicester
Central Ordnance Depot and was used extensively in the Second World War
The British Prime Minister Harold Wilson
visited the BMR in mid 1965 prior to a government spending review. On his orders it was spared from the railway cutbacks that were left over from Lord Beeching
's railway review of the early 1960s .
The BMR has about 40 miles of standard gauge
track in use. The BMR is the main base for 275 Railway Squadron
, a unit of the Royal Logistic Corps
. Before 1999, 275 Railway Squadron was a stand-alone Squadron. Other RLC Regiments refer to the squadron colloquially as the Railway Children
. The Sub Unit recruits exclusively from the railway industry. Every soldier in the unit is a tradesman, able to drive a locomotive, operate railway signals, shunt, and do permanent way work. The unit's regular sister unit is 79 Railway Squadron
and sometimes undertakes permanent way work with the Royal Engineers
unit 507 STRE.
275 Railway Squadron's now defunct insignia is a cross section of flat bottom rail in a blue diamond. This dates back to unit's involvement with the......