is one of two railway stations
serving the town of Bicester
; the other being Bicester North
. The station is miles north-east of Oxford
. It is operated by Chiltern Railways
The Buckinghamshire Railway
, which already had a route between and Banbury
, had powers to build a line to Oxford
. The first section of this line, from a junction to the west of (at a point which became known as ) to , opened on 1 October 1850, and this included a station at Bicester. Originally named Bicester
, the station was renamed Bicester London Road
in March 1954, The station was closed, along with the rest of the Oxford-Bletchley section of the Varsity Line
, on 1 January 1968.
The station was used by several excursion trains through the 1970s and 1980s, before being reopened by Network SouthEast
as Bicester Town
on 11 May 1987, as the terminus of the Oxford to Bicester Line
. From May 2009, First Great Western
and Oxfordshire County Council
have branded the line as "The Bicester Link".
The station has one platform, with a covered waiting area, seats, a clock, help point and public address. There are plenty of cycle stands but no ticket facilities (passengers buy these on the train instead).
The line to... Read More