Bishop Auckland railway station
serves the town of Bishop Auckland
in County Durham
, England. The station is the terminus of the Tees Valley Line
north of .
The station is operated by Northern Rail
, which provides Network Rail passenger services. In addition, Weardale Railway
has built a separate platform station called Bishop Auckland West about 100 metres west of the Northern Rail station from which regular passenger services to Stanhope
have operated since the end of May 2010.Bishop Auckland station was adopted by Bishop Auckland Station Trust on 29 March 2010 from Northern Rail to upgrade facilities and staff the station and to get more people to use the station and the trains. Bishop Auckland Station Trust is a community not-for-profit group.The Trust also has a "Kids Club" for young children interested in railways.
Bishop Auckland gained its first rail link in 1842, when the Stockton and Darlington Railway
built a line into the town from neighbouring , initially to a temporary terminus at South Church
. A permanent station on the current site followed within months, being opened by the Bishop Auckland and Weardale Railway
on 8 November 1843, along with an extension further into Weardale as far as Crook
in 1844 to serve various coalmines and quarries in the area. This was subsequently extended to Blackhill
. A branch from this line at Witton-le-Wear
was opened in 1847,... Read More