John Moore was born in County Westmeath, Ireland and moved to Charleston, South Carolina at the age of 14. He served as Bishop of St. Augustine from 1877–1901. Moore was very influential in the expansion of Catholic schools in Florida and recruitment of religious nuns and priests to meet the ministerial needs of the diocese.
The school sits on a campus adjacent to Little Lake Fairview. There are multiple campus buildings. An extensive renovation and expansion occurred 7 years ago with the addition of a new gymnasium complex, administrative building, library complex, band room and class room space. Loretta Hall and the Massaro Science Wing were restored. The landmark "Golden Dome" remains in use as a secondary gymnasium. Most of the buildings are original to the campus, with new additions being added into science labs in summer 2011.