, Sri Lanka
was founded by the Anglican Church of Ceylon
in February 1875.
It is a fee-levying private school, with over 2000 students at all grades from Kindergarten to Grade 14. The current principal is Mrs. Sharmila Gunathilake.
Bishop's College is a leading Anglican girls school in Sri Lanka with around 2000 students at present.
Now located at 15 Boyd Place, Colombo 3, Sri Lanka, it was one of the earliest mission schools of the Church of England
. The college was first known as Bishopsgate School. The Bishop of Colombo
, the Rt. Rev. James Chapman
(1845–1862) was instrumental in setting up Bishopsgate School. 1875 is the official date from which the count begins but there is an earlier connection. Mrs. Frances Chapman, wife of Bishop Chapman had set her heart on setting up a school for Christian girls with funds collected while on furlough
in England. In 1857 she established a school in their own residence in Mutwal
called Bishopsgate, with the 20 pupils she desired. The Principal was Mrs. Long, who had served earlier at the Church Missionary School in Nallur
. In May 1859, Mrs. Chapman returned to England due to ill health, and Mrs. Long died in 1861. The school had to be temporarily closed. No reference to its reopening is available in the Diocesan Archives.
Bishop's College dates its beginning to 1875, when the school with 13 pupils was established at Fairfield House in Darley Road, under the same... Read More