is a small village and civil parish
in the East Riding of Yorkshire
. It is situated approximately north of Pocklington
and east of Stamford Bridge
The civil parish is formed by the village of Bishop Wilton and the hamlet
.According to the 2001 UK census
, Bishop Wilton parish had a population of 500 in 199 households.
Just north of the village lies Bishop Wilton Wold
, more commonly referred to as Garrowby Hill. At above sea level, it is the highest point on the Yorkshire Wolds
Bishop Wilton is considered by some to be one of the prettiest villages in the East Riding of Yorkshire. A shallow beck runs through the centre of the village, which children sometimes paddle in. It is flanked on both sides by open grass verges. This serves as a habitat for endangered wildlife including water voles, toads and newts.
The village has a local post office / shop, a small primary school, an art gallery / long established screen printing workshop and a pub called the Fleece Inn
. It has a medieval Church of England parish church
, St Edith's, which is dedicated to St Edith of Wilton
. The church was faithfully restored in 1858–59 with lavish internal embellishment to designs by J. L. Pearson. It is on the Sykes Churches Trail
devised by the East Yorkshire Churches Group. Around the village there are numerous walks on the Wolds; offering views across the Vale of... Read More