() is a Catholic voluntary secondary school
for boys aged 14–18, located in Williamstown, Blackrock
, County Dublin
. The College was founded by French missionaries in 1860, to act as a school and civil service training centre. Set in of grounds, it has an illustrious sporting tradition. The College, from Dublin city centre is just in from the sea, and is self contained, with a large boarding school and teaching facilities. Now run by a lay foundation in trust, it maintains high academic standards but requires all pupils to participate in non-academic activities. The missionary tradition continues with charity progammes, especially at Christmas. It accommodates approximately 1,100 day (primarily) and boarding students.
The college was founded by the Congregation of the Holy Ghost
in 1860, the first of the Order's five schools in Ireland. The founder is listed as Fr (Pere) Jules Leman, a French missionary with the Holy Ghost Order. It was originally known as the French College
. A successful civil service
training and university department (where students were examined and had degrees conferred by the Royal University of Ireland
) were run for over forty years, until University College Dublin
grew, and the school focused more on the second level curriculum.
The proper logo or crest of the College, being the third and last creation,... Read More