Bo'ness railway station
is a tourist railway station
. This station is not the original Bo'ness railway station, which was located roughly a quarter mile west on Seaview Place. The site of the original station is now a car park.
The station has a booking office, a café, a shop and a tourist information office. There is also a car park, a bay platform
, a footbridge and a trainshed
which covers the platforms. This is the eastmost station of the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway, which is operated by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society
The buildings in the station area were brought to Bo'ness in the 1980s, saving each of them from permanent demolition elsewhere. Of these, the trainshed is the most important historically. It was originally built at Edinburgh station, and was the original Edinburgh terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
, which opened in February 1842. At Haymarket, two similar trainshed bays stood side by side and abutted the two-storey station offices building which still stands today. Haymarket station remained a terminus only until 1846, when the railway was extended partly in tunnel and partly in cutting through the Waverley Gardens to Waverley station. The extension passed by the Haymarket trainshed on its southern side. When traffic through Haymarket increased after the opening of the Forth Bridge, the tracks into Waverley were quadrupled. To make space for these tracks, the southern bay of the original... Read More