The Bodmin & Wenford Railway
(BWR) is a heritage railway
, based at Bodmin
, United Kingdom. It has an interchange with the national rail network
at Bodmin Parkway railway station
, the southern terminus of the line.
The Great Western Railway
opened its branch line from Bodmin Road
to 27 May 1887, and on 3 September 1888 a junction line was opened to join with the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway
at which had opened its line from to in 1834. The line closed on 3 October 1983 following the demise of freight traffic from Wenford
In 1984 the Bodmin Railway Preservation Society was formed, and they held their first open day at Bodmin general two years later. 1987 saw the Cornish Steam locomotive Society move their equipment from Bugle
A Light Railway Order
was granted in 1989 and the following year passenger services recommenced between Bodmin General and Bodmin Road, although by now that station had been renamed "Bodmin Parkway". A new intermediate station known as was brought into use. In 1996 the former junction line was also reopened, with another new station provided as .
The stations served are all in or near Bodmin
. They are:
The route from Bodmin General to Bodmin Parkway is and Bodmin General to Boscarne Junction is .
On leaving Bodmin parkway, the route first crosses the River Fowey
by a five-arch viaduct
, and then climbs up towards Bodmin Moor
. The one intermediate halt is at Colesloggett... Read More