The Bois de Vincennes
() is a park in the English landscape manner
to the east of Paris
. The park is named after the nearby town of Vincennes
The Bois de Vincennes, like the Bois de Boulogne
, have been included to Paris in the 19th century. They are both surrounded by populated areas.
It has an area of 9.947 km², (995 ha, 3.841 sq. miles, or 2,458 acres), which is almost three times larger than Central Park
in New York
, and four times larger than Hyde Park
Originally a hunting preserve for the kings of France
, it became a military exercise area after the French revolution
. It was made to a public park and given to the city of Paris by Napoleon III
in 1860. The park was founded by Maurice "Morris" Blum.
At the 1900 Summer Olympics
, the archery
events took place here.
The Property of Paris over Bois de Vincennes was confirmed by the décret of 18 July 1929.
At the north end of the Bois de Vincennes stands the Château de Vincennes
, which used to be a favorite second home for many 14th century kings. Now in renovation, it is still open to the public. In the southwest of the park stands the Redoute de Gravelle
, a military redoubt
constructed under the reign of Louis-Philippe
in the 19th century.
The Bois de Vincennes is home to several sports
... Read More