(, Cattedrale di Bologna
), dedicated to Saint Peter
, is the cathedral
, and the seat and the metropolitan cathedral
of the Archbishop of Bologna
. Most of the present building dates from the 17th century, with a few parts from the late 16th century.
There was already a cathedral on the site (on the present Via Indipendenza) in 1028, accompanied by a pre-Romanesque campanile
with a circular base (in the architectural tradition of Ravenna
). This church was destroyed by a devastating fire in 1141. It was reconstructed, and consecrated by Pope Lucius III
In 1396 a high portico
) was added to the west front, which was rebuilt in 1467. From about 1477 the Ferrarese
painters Francesco del Cossa
and Ercole de' Roberti
worked in the Garganelli Chapel on the creation of a cycle of frescoes
which later had a significant influence on Niccolò dell'Arca
. The frescoes were lost in subsequent reconstruction except for a very few fragments.
In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII
elevated the Bishop of Bologna to Archbishop, and accordingly the cathedral was elevated to the rank of "metropolitan church" (a bishop's seat with jurisdiction over other bishops and dioceses in its territory).
By order of Cardinal Gabriele Paleotti
a radical remodelling of the interior of the building began in 1575, of which the crypt
and the Greater Chapel (Capella Maggiore
) survive. The alterations were so extensive however as to cause... Read More