is a former baseball
ground located in Washington, D.C.
located on a larger block bounded approximately by Georgia Avenue
, 5th Street, W Street and Florida Avenue
, NW. It was just outside what was then the city limit of Washington, whose northern boundary was Boundary Street (later renamed Florida Avenue).
The ground was home to the Washington Senators
of the American Association
in 1891 and then the National League
from 1892 to 1899 after the League absorbed the Association. The League contracted in 1900 and the Nationals were a casualty.
The field was also called National Park
as the home of the American League
's Washington Nationals
(1903-1911). When the American League declared itself a major league and began raiding National League rosters for talent, the National League decided to retain its lease on the Boundary Field property. This forced the Nationals to find a new home, and they settled upon a field with the prosaic name American League Park
After piece was made between the two Leagues, the Nationals moved to the old Boundary Field location. They played there for the next eight seasons. In 1909, the annual Congressional Baseball Game
was begun, and was held at this venue and its successor for the next few decades
The wooden stands were destroyed by fire on March 17, 1911. The structure was rebuilt in steel and concrete as the ballpark that would later be known as Griffith Stadium
. Read More