is a three-lane one-way street in Kowloon
, Hong Kong
. It runs in the eastbound direction starting at its intersection with Tung Chau Street in the west, and ending at its intersection with Prince Edward Road West
in the east, near the former Kai Tak Airport
Historically, the street marked the boundary between the southern part of Kowloon, ceded
by Qing China
to the United Kingdom
in 1860, and the northern part of Kowloon (New Kowloon
), which remained part of China until it was leased as part of the New Territories
to the United Kingdom in 1898 for 99 years. After the lease, the boundary was renamed from Boundary Line
to Old Frontier Line
The boundary was made visible by a long line of high bamboo fences
which effectively blocked smuggling
between Chinese Kowloon and British Kowloon at that time. It became obsolete when New Territories joined the colony.
Although the street is the historical mark on the boundary, the road did not come to exist until 1934, more than 30 years after the lease of boundary north. The road was built to accelerate the development of Kowloon Tong
and identify the difference in calculation of rates
between the boundary north and south.
In modern day conversations, however, New Kowloon
is often not regarded as part of the New Territories
, but as part of the Kowloon
urban area (on both sides of Boundary Street).
Administratively its portion west of the East Rail Line
forms part... Read More