is an astronomical observatory
owned and operated by the Greenwich, Connecticut
Board of Education.
The Astronomical Society of Greenwich
helps staff the observatory under the auspices of the Board's Continuing Education Department.
Built in 1940 by Alden W. Smith, a science teacher at Greenwich High School
. It is located on the grounds of the Julian Curtiss School in Greenwich
The observatory underwent a major renovation in 1986. In 2007, the town agreed to spend $225,000 for a new dome. The original dome had been in place for more than 60 years, surviving storms, hurricanes and nor'easters, and it had begun leaking, endangering the telescope. Birds had also been found nesting in it. On May 22, 2008, workers from Jackson, Mississippi
-based Observa-Dome replaced the old dome with a new one, which weighs 4,000 pounds, is motorized and able to rotate 360 degrees.Hennessy, Christina, "New dome placed on Bowman", article, Greenwich Time of Greenwich, Connecticut, May 23, 2008, p.A1
- Forecast of observing conditions