The Bradford Canal
was a English
canal which ran from the Leeds and Liverpool Canal
into the centre of Bradford
. It opened in 1774, and was closed in 1866, when it was declared to be a public health hazard. Four years later it reopened with a better water supply, and closed for the second time in 1922. It was subsequently filled in, although consideration has been given to restoring it. There are some remains, including a short section of canal at the junction and a pumping station building, which is now a dwelling.
The first plans to provide a navigable route to Bradford were made in 1744, when a number of Gentlemen and Farmers sought parliamentary approval for improvements to of the River Aire
, starting at Inghay Bridge, near Skipton
, and ending at Cottingley Bridge, near Bingley
, which was the nearest point on the river from which an existing road ran to Bradford. Although the bill reached the committee stage, nothing more became of it.
When the Leeds and Liverpool Canal
was promoted in the 1760s, its course between Skipton and Bingley broadly followed that proposed by the 1744 plan. It was authorised in 1770, and in the same year fourteen merchants, including six who were already on the committee for the Leeds and Liverpool, planned a branch which would serve the town of Bradford
. An Act of Parliament
was obtained on 29 April 1771, which appointed 28 proprietors. They could... Read More