Brailsford () is a small red brick village in Derbyshire on the A52 midway between Derby and Ashbourne. The village has a pub, a post office, a petrol station and a school. There are many fine houses in the district including two 20th century country homes: Brailsford Hall built in 1905 in Jacobean style, and Culland Hall.
Brailsford was mentioned in the Domesday Book as being in the tenancy of Elfin (possibly an Anglo-norman rendering of the Saxon Aelfwine) who also held the nearby manors of Bupton, Osmaston and Thurvaston from the tenant-in-chief, Henry de Ferrers.
The Domesday survey of 1086 records the following for Brailsford:
<blockquote>Land of Henry de FerrersM. In Brailsford Earl Waltheof had 2 carucates of land taxable.Land for 2 ploughs. Now in lordship 2 ploughs.24 villagers and 3 smallholders have 5 ploughs.A priest and ½ church; 1 mill, 10s 8d; meadow 11 acres;Woodland pasture 1 league long and 1 league wide.Value before 1066, 60s; now 40s. Elfin holds it.</blockquote>Elfin, through his son, Nicholas de Brailsford is the ancestor of the Brailsford family, who are still numerous in the county and elsewhere today.
From Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835: