() is a village
and civil parish
, between the rivers Quin
, in the non-metropolitan district
of East Hertfordshire
, part of the English
county of Hertfordshire
, England. Braughing was a rural district in Hertfordshire from 1935 to 1974.
There is some evidence of human activity in the Mesolithic
and Bronze Age
, but settled habitation began in the Iron Age
, around the 3rd century BC. It was probably a trading post, situated on the navigable extreme of the Rib, providing a route to the larger River Lea
. In the late pre-Roman period it may have been the capital of the Trinovantes
and the seat of such kings as Addedomarus
At Ford Bridge, near Braughing there was a significant town in Roman
times, situated close to several major Roman roads, including Ermine Street
(now the A10
), Stane Street
(now the A120
) and the Icknield Way
, and covering at least 36 hectares. The town was a Roman industrial centre for the manufacture of pottery.When the River Rib is in full flood, bricks, tiles and other more interesting artefacts from the Roman settlement are washed from its banks.
The Latin name of the town is, as yet, unknown.
After the Roman period it was settled by the Anglo-Saxons
: the earliest form of the name Braughing is......