Brewood Grammar School
was a boys' school in the village of Brewood
in South Staffordshire
Founded in the mid 15th century by the Bishop of Lichfield
as a chantry
school it was closed by the 1547 Act of Dissolution of Chantries. It was re-founded by Matthew Knightley and Sir Thomas Gifford around 1575 and survived as a grammar school
until 1975 when its last headmaster, Roy Leafe, retired. It then became a mixed-sex middle school
in 1977. As a 20th century grammar school it took a number of boarders who lived at Wheaton Aston Hall, and taught agricultural science. The school had a small attached farm with cattle and poultry.
The original building does not survive. The earliest part of the remaining buildings, originally two houses donated to the school, dates from 1778. In 1799 these were enclosed in the school grounds by moving the road. They were rebuilt in 1856 as Rushall House (now Grade II listed
) and used as a schoolroom and dormitories. In 1863 the headmaster's house was rebuilt, and further extensions to the school were made in 1898, 1926, 1935, and 1952.
The school is commemorated in a recent memorial window in the nearby parish church, St Mary and St Chad.
(1699 - 1745) was headmaster here and failed to employ Samuel Johnson
- Brewood, David Horovitz, 1988, ISBN 1-85421-011-4
- Brewood and Penkridge in Old Photographs, Adrienne Whitehouse, 1988, ISBN 0-86299-519-1