Bristol Filton Airport
or Filton Aerodrome
lies on the border between Filton
, within South Gloucestershire
, north of Bristol
. The airfield is bounded by the A38
trunk road to the east, the former London
railway line to the south and the Old Filton Bypass road to the north west. The aerodrome's main runway runs east-west. The aerodrome is also called Filton Airfield.
Bristol Filton Aerodrome has a CAA
Ordinary Licence (number P741) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction as authorised by the licensee (BAE Systems (Aviation Services) Limited).
Companies within the boundary of the aerodrome are BAE Systems
(which own the aerodrome), Airbus
, as well as a number of aircraft maintenance companies, flying schools and the South West of England Royal Mail
letter sorting depot. It has passenger facilities for corporate flights.
Filton's runway is one of the widest (300 feet or 91 m) and is 8,094 feet or 2,467 m long, having been extended first for the maiden flight of the Bristol Brabazon
airliner in 1949 and again in the late 1960s for Concorde
"Brabazon remembered", Pilot
, November 2009, p98.
The first flight of the Concorde 002 prototype took place on 9 April 1969 at Filton Aerodrome. All other British-built Concordes also used the main Filton runway for their first flights.
On 26 November 2003,... Read More