British Gas plc
was formerly the monopoly
gas supplier and is a private sector in the United Kingdom
In the early 1900s the gas market in the United Kingdom was mainly run by county councils and small private firms. At this time the use of an inflammable gas (often known as "Town Gas") piped to houses as a fuel
was still being marketed to consumers, by such means as the National Gas Congress and Exhibition
. The gas used in the 19th and early 20th centuries was Coal gas
but in the period 1967-1977 British domestic coal gas supplies were replaced by Natural gas
In 1948 Clement Attlee
government reshaped the gas industry, bringing in The Gas Act 1948
. The act nationalised
the UK gas industry and 1062 privately owned and municipal gas companies were merged into twelve Area Gas Boards
each a separate body with its own management structure. Each Area Board was divided into geographical groups or divisions which were often further divided into smaller districts. These boards simply became known as the "Gas Board", a term people still use when referring to British Gas.
During the 1950s the use of gas increased greatly with British Gas creating high street showrooms to promote the use of gas. By the 1960s the UK was importing 300,000 tons of liquefied natural gas from Africa every year.
Surveys in the North Sea had shown that there were large reserves of natural gas
and in 1966 the decision was taken to convert the UK from town gas
to natural... Read More