The British Rail Class 205
) diesel-electric multiple units
were built by BR at Eastleigh
This class of unit were built in four different batches for use on different lines.
The first batch of units, numbered 1101–1118, were built in 1957 as two-car units and were classified as 2H
. They were built for services in Hampshire
on the non-electrified routes between , and and between , and . The first units entered service in September 1957. However, due to increasing passenger numbers, all eighteen units were strengthened to three cars in 1958 and 1969, with the addition of a centre trailer, and therefore were reclassified as 3H
units. Upon the introduction of TOPS
they were reclassified as Class 205
. Some of these were later converted back to 2 car sets, but they retained their Class 205 designation.
The second batch of 2H units, numbered 1119–1122, were built as 2-car units in 1958. These units were built for services on the Marshlink Line
from to Ashford
, and associated branch lines. These units remained as two-car sets until 1979, and were reclassified as Class 204
upon the introduction of TOPS
. In May 1979, following the disbandment of the four Class 206
units, they were strengthed to three cars and redesignated as Class 205s.
The third batch of units were built as three-car sets in 1959, and were numbered 1123–1126. These units were built to supplement the first batch on... Read More