in Prince George's County
was the first footprint of European settlement in the immediate counties around what would become the nation's capital, Washington, D.C.
The area is part of greater Fort Washington
The area was settled by Europeans in the 1660s and the town was created in 1706 when the colonial Maryland Legislature
authorized surveying and laying out the towns of Queen Anne Town
, Nottingham, Mill Town, Piscataway
, Aire (also known as Broad Creek) and Upper Marlboro (then known as Marlborough Town).
In 1747, the legislature tried to improve the quality and the method of marketing tobacco
, then the major crop of the area, and established a formal system of tobacco inspection and quality control. The town was home to one of seven state tobacco warehouses built in Prince George's County.
The site is located south of the U.S. Capitol
building on the Potomac River
Today, this "first footprint" of settlement in the capital area is an official Prince George's County Historic District, with three 17th century homesites and an 18th century Episcopal Church structure. The Broad Creek Historic District comprises along the Potomac River, and is remarkable for its environmental resources, as well as its 12,000-year-old Indian archeological discoveries.