is a village and civil parish
in the Richmondshire
district of North Yorkshire
. The village is located three miles east of Richmond
. Its name comes from the fact that the River Swale
is very close to the town. It has a population of about 1,760 (2003).
The village was first mentioned in the Domesday Book
, though it is thought that there was a settlement before the Normans
took over England
. Its name is thought to have derived from 'broom' (shrub) and 'tun' an Old English
word meaning village or farmstead.
Brompton-on-Swale Church of England Primary School has around 140 pupils, and was opened just outside the village in 1983.
St Paul's Church in Brompton-on-Swale was built in 1838. It originally had a dual function, serving jointly as a schoolroom in its early days.
Pubs in Brompton-on-Swale include the Crown
and the Farmer's Arms
Brompton-on-Swale was served by Catterick Bridge railway station
until 1969; the station house can be seen just outside the village on the B6271 towards Richmond.