The Browning School
was founded as a college preparatory school for boys in 1888
by John A. Browning. It offers study from Pre-Primary level (Kindergarten) through Form VI (12th Grade) and is ranked as one of the top private schools in New York City. The Browning School is a member of the New York Interschool
The Browning School was founded in 1888 by John A. Browning. Arthur Jones succeeded Browning as Headmaster in 1920 and moved the school from West 55th Street to its present location on East 62nd Street. Extracurricular activities expanded in his time. Jones retired in 1948 and Lyman B. Tobin, a Browning teacher for more than 30 years, became Browning’s third Headmaster.
In 1952, upon Tobin’s retirement, the school named Charles W. Cook ’38, an alumnus and teacher, as its fourth Headmaster. Under his leadership for thirty-six years, the Browning School expanded rapidly. After a lengthy fund-raising drive, the school bought the adjoining carriage house and rebuilt it. The new building opened in 1960. The school’s expansion continued in 1967, with the building of a larger gymnasium on the roof, and in the late 1970s, with the acquisition of an interest in the building next door.
In 1988, Stephen M. Clement, III became Browning’s fifth Headmaster. Today, the school has over 370 students, more than double its size fifty years ago, but it continues its emphasis on small classes and close personal attention. Browning also has completed a new... Read More