is an area in Hove
, in the city of Brighton and Hove
. It is best known for the Regency architecture
of the Brunswick estate.
Originally, the area had been part of Wick Farm. Then in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, nearby Brighton
had become very fashionable, especially amongst the top tier of British society. The Kemp Town
estate there had been a success, and so in 1824 architect Charles Busby
entered into an agreement to build houses on land lying at the extreme east of Hove, adjacent to Brighton — land which belonged to Thomas Read Kemp
, creator of Kemp Town. Building of the estate began in 1825.Brunswick Town
, by Judy Middleton, 2001. The name "Brunswick" was presumably taken from House of Brunswick, a term sometimes used for the House of Hanover
, the name of the British royal family at the time.
Facilities including a market were provided. The market, opened in 1828, was funded by Busby himself but was not a success and was converted to a riding school in the 1840s. It is now a theatre.
In the late 1990s the top of Brunswick Square, where it meets busy Western Road, was closed to motor vehicles, changing the nature of the square from a through route to a strictly residential area. There is a taxi rank immediately north of this point, on Brunswick Place.
At the extreme eastern edge of Brunswick Terrace, on the border of Hove and Brighton, the bluntly modernist Embassy Court
apartment block... Read More