The railway ran to , a lonely spot about 430 feet below the main quarry level. From there the half-mile long Galltymoelfre Tramway and a pair of inclines connected to the quarry.
Neither the quarry nor its associated railway were great commercial successes. By 1879 the company had run out of funds and both were auctioned off on 9 October 1879. After this and a subsequent auction failed to find a bidder, William McConnel personally bought both, and an upturn in the slate market allowed the quarry to expand further.
McConnel died in 1902 and the quarry became the property of his son W.H. McConnel. However the leases on the land the quarry occupied were close to running out and Bryn Eglwys ceased production in 1909.