for "high hill") is one of the larger cities in West Sumatra
, with a population of over 91,000 people and an area of 25.24 km². It is situated in the Minangkabau
highlands, 90 km by road from the West Sumatran capital city of Padang
. It is located at , near the volcanoes Mount Singgalang
(inactive) and Mount Marapi
(still active). At 930 m above sea level, the city has a cool climate with temperatures between 16.1°-24.9°C.
The city has its origins in five villages which served as the basis for a marketplace.
The city was known as Fort de Kock
during colonial times in reference to the Dutch outpost established here in 1825 during the Padri War
. The fort was founded by Captain Bauer at the top of Jirek hill and later named after the then Lieutenant Governor-General
of the Dutch East Indies
, Hendrik Merkus de Kock
. In 1856 a teacher-training college (Kweekschool
) was founded in the city, the first in Sumatra, as part of a policy to provide educational opportunities to the indigenous population. A rail line connecting the city with Payakumbuh and Padang was constructed between 1891 and... Read More