Burdwan Municipal High School
(), located at the heart of Burdwan
, a town 95 km north-west of Kolkata
, is one of the oldest boys schools in India
. The school was established in 1883
by the Bardhaman Municipal Authority.
The school has a large campus consisting of three two-storied buildings, gardens, and playground. It has 2230 students and 49 teachers.
In 1855 Maharshi Debendranath Tagore
, along with Adi Brahmo Samaj
established Brahmo Samaj Boys’ School (later renamed Burdwan English School). Bhagaban Chandra Basu
, the then Deputy magistrate of Burdwan and father of Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose
, was one of its founders. After the demise of Mahatab Chandra
the Brahma movement in Burdwan became weak for lack of patronage and the school became in financial straits. Burdwan Municipality took over the school and Burdwan Municipal School started its journey anew in 1883.
List of school sites:
- Buckley’s kuthi (1883–1888)
- Rashik Krishna Bhaban (1888–1902)
- Lal Kuthi (1902–1917)
- Mehedibagan (1917–1919)
- Pal Building (1919—1924)
- Jiafat Manjil, Akiat Manjil, (Dhal Dighir Kuthi) (1924–1936)
- Midda Pukur Kuthi (1929)
- The New Building (1936–1942)
- Jiafat Manjil, Coxhead Building (1942–1945)
- The New Building (1945)
- Centenary Building (1983)
The school has the following structures:
- West wing.
- Double-storeyed main building, along with the annexe. This wing houses the office of the headmaster.
- Primary school block
- Teachers' block
- Playing field......