is a pastoral centre and historic tourist town in the mid-north of South Australia
. It lies east of the Clare Valley
in the Bald Hills range, part of the northern Mount Lofty Ranges
, and on Burra Creek
. The town began as a single company mining township that, by 1851, was a set of townships (company, private and government-owned) collectively known as “The Burra”. The Burra mines supplied 89% of South Australia's and 5% of the world’s copper
for 15 years, and the settlement has been credited (along with the mines at Kapunda
) with saving the economy of the struggling new colony of South Australia. The Burra Burra Copper Mine
was established in 1848 mining the copper deposit discovered in 1845. Miners and townspeople migrated to Burra primarily from Cornwall
. The mine first closed in 1877, briefly opened again early in the 20th century and for a last time from 1970-1981.
When the mine was exhausted and closed the population shrunk dramatically and the townships, for the next 100 years, supported pastoral and agricultural activities. Today the town continues as a centre for its surrounding farming communities and, being one of the best-preserved towns of the Victorian era
in Australia as a historic tourist centre.
Geology and geography
Burra is located within the hundred