is a residential estate in Hersham
in the United Kingdom
. It consists of approximately 400 houses and three of its four entrances are protected by automatic bollards
Mention of Burwood in historical records appears as early as 962 AD. At that time the Anglo-Saxons used to cross the river at Walton-on-Thames
and attend the church which was there. From 1066
Burwood become part of one of the four Norman manors in the area, that of Walton Leigh and some time after was owned by the Lee family from whom King Henry VIII
purchased it in 1540
. He converted it into a deer park and hunting for wild deer and foxes in the Park went on for many years, although the heather undergrowth made the chase a little difficult at times. Common British mammals such as badgers
, foxes, grey squirrels and hedgehogs exist in some numbers in the area now.
Because of the number of trees which have been planted in the Park through the years, together with the existence of Broadwater and Heart Pond, the bird-life has become quite notable, with over 150 species having been recorded. These include Little and Tawny Owls, Jays and Magpies and others of the crow family, Ring Necked Parakeets, Herons, Woodpeckers, various Finches, Thrushes and a number of waterfowl. Less common British birds and migrants can also be seen.
, Burwood Park passed through a succession of purchasers and their heirs, the names of whom are in the records, but of these, the most notable... Read More