were county constituencies
of the House of Commons
of the Parliament of Great Britain
from 1708 to 1801 and of the Parliament of the United Kingdom
from 1801 to 1918.
From 1708 to 1832 they were paired as alternating constituencies
: one of the constituencies elected
a Member of Parliament
to one parliament, the other to the next. The areas which were covered by the two constituencies are quite remote from each other, Caithness in the northeast of Scotland
and Buteshire in the southwest.
From 1832 to 1918, they were separate constituencies, each represented by its own MP.
From 1708 to 1832, the Buteshire constituency covered the county of Bute
minus the parliamentary burgh
, which was a component of the Ayr Burghs
constituency, and the Caithness constituency covered the county of Caithness
minus the parliamentary burgh of Wick
, which was a component of the Tain Burghs
When Buteshire and Caithness became separate constituencies, in 1832, Rothesay was merged into the Buteshire constituency. Wick retained its status as a parliamentary burgh and became a component of the Wick Burghs
By 1892, Bute and Caithness had become a local government counties
and, throughout Scotland, under the Local Government Act 1889
, county boundaries had been redefined for all purposes except parliamentary representation. 26 years were to elapse before constituency boundaries were redrawn, by the Representation of the People Act......