is a former municipality
. The largest village in Byneset is Spongdal
, other villages include Byneset and Langørjan
. The municipality of Byneset encompassed the western part of present-day Trondheim
municipality. It sits along an arm of the Trondheimsfjord
, separated from the rest of the city by the Bymarka
recreation area. The local Byneset church
is one of the oldest stone churches in Norway.
The municipality of Byneset was established on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt
). According to the 1835 census, there were 2,143 people living in Byneset. In 1855, the southern parish of Buvik
(population: 841) was separated from Byneset to form its own municipality. This left Byneset with a population of 2,109. On 1 January 1964, Byneset was incorporated into the urban municipality of Trondheim
, along with Leinstrand
, and Tiller
. Byneset was the smallest of those municipalities prior to the merger, with a population of 2,049.