Calcutta Film Society
’s second film society
in the city of Kolkata
(then Calcutta), West Bengal
. It was founded in 1947, just after independence, by Satyajit Ray
, Chidananda Dasgupta
, RP Gupta, Bansi Chandragupta
and others. The 1925 silent film directed by Sergei Eisenstein
, The Battleship Potemkin
was the first film screened at the film society, Satyajit Ray
Today it is seen as an important harbinger of New Wave cinema in India, as it allowed first hand access to world cinema to local viewers and in time started the film society movement in India.
Although a film society was formed by documentary filmmakers in Bombay in 1942, this was the first film society dedicated to feature films. Satyajit Ray then a young aspiring film maker provided film books and magazines, while Chidananda Dasgupta
offer a room in his home for the meetings. And despite tough censorship policies, under the "Indian Cinematograph Act 1918" of the British Raj
, which still in enforced censorship rule to all gathering for cinema viewing, they survived low membership during the first five years viewing mainly Russian and European films. The society also started a bulletin designed by Ray, and several of his article were later published in the book, Our......