The Calcutta High Court
() is the oldest High Court
. It was established as the High Court of Judicature at Fort William
on 1 July 1862 under the High Courts Act, 1861
. It has jurisdiction over the state
of West Bengal
and the Union Territory
of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
. The High Court building is an exact replica of the Stand Haus in Ypres, Belgium. It is recorded that when the original Stand Haus burnt down, a blue print of Granville's Calcutta High Court had to be consulted before rebuilding it.
The court has a sanctioned judge strength of 63. Despite the name of the city having officially changed from Calcutta
in 2001, the old name is retained by the court as it is an institution.
The Calcutta High Court opened with 13 puisne judges. The first Indian judge Sambhunath Pandit
assumed the charge on 22 January 1863.
Permanent seat and benches
The seat of the Calcutta High Court is at Kolkata
of West Bengal. It also has a permanent circuit bench
in Port Blair
, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The current Chief Justice is Hon'ble Mr. Justice J. N. Patel. His Lordship was the senior most judge at the Bombay High Court
.Sir Barnes Peacock
was the first Chief Justice of the High Court. He assumed the charge when the court was founded on 1 July 1862. Romesh Chandra Mitter was the first Indian officiating Chief Justice and Phani Bhushan Chakravartti was the first Indian permanent Chief Justice of the court.... Read More