The Calcutta Tramways Company (1978) Limited (CTC) is a West Bengal, India government-run company which runs trams in Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta) and buses in and around Kolkata. The Kolkata tram is the oldest operating electric tram in Asia, running since 1902.
An attempt was made to run a tramway service between Sealdah and Armenian Ghat Street on 24 February. The service was not adequately patronised, and was discontinued on Nov 20.
The Calcutta Tramway Co. Ltd was formed and registered in London on 22 December. Metre-gauge horse-drawn tram tracks were laid from Sealdah to Armenian Ghat via Bowbazar Street, Dalhousie Square and Strand Road. The route was inaugurated by the Viceroy, Lord Ripon, on 1 November.
Steam locomotives were deployed experimentally to haul tram cars. By the end of the nineteenth century the company owned 166 tram cars, 1000 horses, seven steam locomotives and 19 miles of tram tracks.
Electrification of the tramway, and reconstruction of tracks to (standard gauge) was begun.
The first electric tramcar in Asia ran from Esplanade to Kidderpore on 27 March, and on 14 June from Esplanade to Kalighat.
The Kalighat line was extended to Tollygunje, the Esplanade line to Belgachhia (via Bidhan Sarani, Shyambazar), and the Esplanade to Shialdaha route (via Binay Badal Dinesh Bag, Rajib Gandhi Sarani and <nowiki></nowiki> Mahatma Gandhi Road) opened.