The school was established as the Evening School of Theology (야간신학교) in Seoul in 1954. It became a full seminary in 1962, and a four-year college (Calvin Theological College) in 1976. The current campus was purchased in 1980. A missionary research institute was established in 1989. The school formally became a university in 1997, and the graduate school was founded in 1999.