The Cambridge University Botanic Garden is a botanical garden located in Cambridge, England. It lies between Trumpington Road to the west and Hills Road to the east, close to Cambridge railway station. The garden covers an area of 16 hectares (40 acres). The site is almost entirely on level ground and in additional to its scientific value, the garden is highly rated by gardening enthusiasts. It holds 10 National Collections. The botanic garden also forms an oasis of tranquility in Cambridge and is frequently used as a place to escape to for lunch by workers in the surrounding area. The garden was created for the University of Cambridge in 1831 by Professor John Stevens Henslow and was opened to the public in 1846.