The Iowa State University Campanile
is located on Iowa State's central campus
, and is home to the Stanton Memorial Carillon
. The campanile is widely seen as one of the major symbols of Iowa State University. It is featured prominently on the university's official ring and is also the subject of the university's alma mater
("The Bells of Iowa State").
was constructed in 1897-1898 as a memorial to Margaret MacDonald Stanton, Iowa State's first dean of women, who died on July 25, 1895. The tower is located on ISU's central campus
, just north of the Memorial Union
. The site was selected by Margaret's husband, Edgar W. Stanton, with the help of then-university president William M. Beardshear
.The campanile stands 110 feet (34 m) tall on a 16 by 16 foot (5 by 5 m) base, and cost $6,510.20 to construct.
In 1899, Edgar Stanton donated the carillon's first ten bells in memory of his late wife. Each of the original bells is inscribed with a different quotation selected by Edgar Stanton. After Edgar died in 1920, the bulk of his estate was given to the university. In 1929, a portion of this money was used to purchase an additional 26 bells that were added to the carillon in Edgar's memory. In 1956, an additional... Read More