The Canby Ferry
(formally the M.J. Lee II
) is a ferry
in the U.S. state
that connects Canby
, and Wilsonville
in Clackamas County
across the Willamette River
. It has been in service since 1914. It has been replaced and updated several times, most recently in 2001. It is one of three remaining ferries on the Willamette River.
The ferry has room for six cars (or 75 tons) and a total passenger capacity of 49. A toll
is charged for motor vehicles, whilst pedestrians and bicyclists travel for free. As of 2011, a passenger car costs $2.00, a motorcycle $1.00, and $12.00 is charged if a vehicle takes up the entire ferry. The ferry, the M.J. Lee II
, is a cable ferry
powered by electricity provided by overhead lines and is guided across the river by an underwater cable in diameter, leaving the vessel relatively unaffected by the river's currents.
The ferry is required by the Navigation Rules to display a day shape
and, at night, certain lights that communicate to other vessels its (right-of-way) rights on navigable waters.Because the ferry is guided by an underwater cable, and is fed electricity from an overhead cable, its... Read More