The Cannondale Metro-North Railroad
station serves residents of the Cannondale
area of Wilton, Connecticut
via the Danbury Branch
of the New Haven Line
The station is 50.2 miles to Grand Central Terminal
and the average travel time from there is 1 hour, 24 minutes regardless of through trains or transfers at Stamford
or South Norwalk
The station has 140 parking spaces, all owned by the state.
Cannondale Station provided the name and original logo for what is now the Cannondale Bicycle Corporation
Platform and track configuration
This station has one two-car-long high-level side platform to the west of the track. The Danbury Branch has one track at this location.
The Danbury and Norwalk Railroad
opened the line in late February 1852, with the official opening on March 1. Charles Cannon of Cannondale was the subcontractor who built the route through Wilton. The train cost passengers 30 cents to go to South Norwalk and 50 cents to Danbury at a time when the day's wages of a laborer might not be a dollar. Two trains made the trip up and down the line each day. In the first few years, a freshet and a flood from the Norwalk River
twice shut down the line for repairs. The station made travel suddenly much quicker than stagecoach transportation. After a few years, when speeds picked up a bit on the line, it took 28 minutes to reach South Norwalk.Cornwall, L. Peter, "The Danbury & Norwalk Railroad and its impact on... Read More