is a civil parish
in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster
in South Yorkshire
. It has a population of 2,830.
was probably a home from around the 7th or 8th century, owned by a Saxon
called Tochi prior to the conquest
by the Normans
in 1066, after which it probably went to the Everingham's or Everingham Ancestors. By 1209 it was known as Kanteleia, and Cauntele in 1246. By 1280 it was in the possession of Robert de Everingham
. The Everingham name lives on to this day in Everingham Road, one of the main roads through Cantley. By the late 15th century the name of Cantley had been established and remained,
Cantley is adjacent to Bessacarr
, separated by Bawtry Road.
The majority of Cantley was built after World War II
, with many of its houses 1950s built semi-detached or small terraces. It mainly consists of housing estates, some council estates, plus a large park and areas of woodland. There are two main sets of shops - Everingham Road has a local convenience store, post office, bakers, grocers, butchers, hairdressers, DIY, and the popular "Fish Dish" fish & chip shop. St Wilfrid's shops are near the local health centre and have several convenience stores, off licenses, hairdressers and a Chinese takeway.... Read More