The Cape Canaveral Light
is a historic lighthouse
on the east coast of the U.S. state of Florida
The current Cape Canaveral Light is not the first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral
. A 60-foot (18 m) tall brick structure was built on the Cape in 1848. The light consisted of 15 lamps each with a 21-inch (530 mm) reflector. The first lighthouse keeper left the lighthouse during a Seminole War
scare, and refused to return to his post. Sailors heavily criticized the lighthouse, with complaints that the light was too weak and too low to be seen before ships were on the reefs near the Cape. the government contracted for construction of a new lighthouse in 1860, but the start of the American Civil War
stopped work. The lamps and mechanism for the light were removed from the lighthouse and buried in the lighthouse keeper's orange grove to protect them from Federal raids.
At the end of the war construction resumed on the lighthouse. It was completed in 1868, receiving a first-order Fresnel lens
. Erosion of the shoreline threatened the lighthouse, and the United States Congress
appropriated funds to move the lighthouse inland. The old (1848) was blown up and the rubble used to prepare a foundation of the lighthouse. The cast-iron tower was disassembled, moved and reassembled at the new location. The move took 18 months, and the lighthouse was re-lit at its new location in 1894.
The lighthouse today
When rockets began launching from the Cape in the early 1950s, all... Read More